Don't Miss

Egypt court orders Mubarak retrial

By on June 4, 2015

An appeals court in Egypt has ordered former President Hosni Mubarak to stand trial again over the killing of protesters in 2011 uprising which forced him from power, the high court said on Thursday.

The judge accepted the public prosecution’s appeal against an earlier court ruling that dropped the case against Mubarak.

Mubarak was cleared in a retrial in November 2014 after originally being jailed for life over the death of 800 people during the revolution.
He was separately convicted of corruption and sentenced to three years in jail earlier this year.
Mubarak, 87, is currently in the Maadi military hospital in Cairo.
The judge at the Court of Cassation said Mubarak would be retried on 5 November. It will be the third time the case has been heard.
Mubarak had been convicted of conspiracy to kill in June 2012, but a retrial was ordered on a technicality the following year.

The former president, who was in power for nearly 30 years, stepped down in February 2011 after mass protests against his rule.

About AfricaTimes

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.